Thursday, October 1, 2015

First Impression & Swatches: Chanel Tisse Rivoli Quad

For my birthday last year, I splurged and got myself my first Burberry eyeshadows. While the big day isn't until November, I'm going to be a little busy this year, what with having a baby in the week(s) preceding it. So, I splurged early with the hopes that this will also be what I take with me to the hospital. Yes, I'm taking makeup to the hospital. I'm going to obviously want pictures and I'm not going to look like a haggard mess if I can help it. I want to look back and actually like my first pictures with our baby, not cringe and burn (or delete) every single one of them. So, makeup is a necessity to me.

The hunt for the perfect neutral quad/small palette was actually quite extensive. Burberry's Complete Palette in Mocha was my first choice, but it was not flattering on my skin. Then I turned to Bare Minerals' Truth quad. The "highlight" shade wasn't very light and the two darkest colors looked identical to me. Pass. Too Faced Natural Eyes was a potential, but some of the colors swatched chalky and reviews are mixed. I wanted something that was a guaranteed home run. After hours of Googling swatches and watching YouTube reviews on a multitude of other potentials (hey, I'm on bed rest. Don't judge. What else am I supposed to do when I need a break from the Law & Order: SVU and Game of Thrones marathons?) I finally turned my attention toward Chanel. 

Since this is my first Chanel purchase (aside from perfume), I really had no idea what to expect. I knew I wanted neutrals that covered all the bases - highlight color, shimmery mid-tones, and a darker color that could be used for smokey eyes and/or liner. I think Tisse Rivoli fits the bill, but I'll reserve complete judgment until I've actually worn these on my eyes.

Chanel Les 4 Ombres Multi-Effect Quadra Eyeshadow in Tisse Rivoli, direct sunlight
Swatches in indirect light
Swatches in direct sunlight

Included in the box is the standard luxury black velvet case/pouch, but also a handy little booklet with four different looks/examples of how to wear the shadows. Despite the fact that I've been doing my makeup for ... a while now ... I found the booklet was actually helpful and I'll more than likely try them out. Obviously Chanel knows their product better than I do, so we'll see how their "vision" for the eyeshadow placement actually works in the real world. 

No comments: