Monday, September 28, 2015

Ways to Maintain a Healthy Summer Glow + Bonus Recipe!

Have you heard of ALOHA yet? I hadn't until last week, but it's been described as "a place to say hello to good health and happiness." They've been featured in some top magazines and you can even sign up for some freebies when you go to their webpage. I got a chance to speak to one of their employees and she asked about my thoughts on how to achieve a healthy "Summer" glow year-round. At first I laughed, especially since I'm lovingly referred to as both a ghost and a vampire by my nearest and dearest, so the idea of ME, the Queen of the Pale, talking about a Summer glow was amusing. BUT! I got to thinking about it and it is all thanks to my recent trip to the Burberry counter that I actually feel like I have something to contribute to ALOHA's quest to "inspire health and beauty throughout every season." 


Keeping up your Summer glow


So, without further ado, my top three steps to keeping up your Summer glow.

1. Exfoliate - I think this is the basis of any and all attempts to look glowy, no matter what the season is. People have their personal preferences as to whether or not this should be done chemically (with an AHA or BHA) or physically (with a washcloth or gritty scrub). I'm more keen on chemical exfoliants for my face, but I'm all about scrubs for my body and my lips. Featured above are two of my favorites for daily use: Paula's Choice RESIST Daily Pore-Refining Treatment with 2% BHA and the E.L.F. Lip Exfoliator. While there's nothing particularly snazzy about the Paula's Choice BHA, it's become a staple in my nighttime cleansing routine and I like to think it's working behind the scenes, so to speak. The lip exfoliator, however, is awesome! For $3, you get a stick of brown sugar that you schmear all over your lips and take away all of the nasty flakes while leaving a pleasant taste behind.

2. Luminous Primer - Being that I don't wear foundation everyday, I feel like primers are mostly pointless to me. Sure, when I actually wear foundation, they serve a purpose and are great, but usually I can't be bothered with them. However, the super duper helpful manager at the Burberry counter nearest me changed my mind. I went in to make a return (and play around) when she asked if she could color-match me to a foundation I was eyeing. So, I said sure. Minutes later, she was coming at me with Burberry's Fresh Glow Luminous Fluid Base in Golden Radiance. The color in the picture is essentially what it looks like in real life - liquid bronzer. I immediately recoiled, since I assumed she'd be using Nude Radiance, which is a pinky/pearly primer, instead. She noted my reaction and reassured me I wouldn't look like an Oompa Loompa. I trusted her and went with it and was amazed how lively I looked when it was all said and done. I'm not a bronzer fan, if that's any surprise, but Golden Radiance sat so well on my pasty skin that I literally said "Wow" when she turned the mirror toward me. She sent me on my way with a sample of both primers and even using it home, either by itself or mixing it with my existing foundations, I'm amazed at the subtle sheen it gives WITHOUT making me look orange! I actually haven't even tried out Nude Radiance yet, since I've been loving the Golden Radiance.

3. Highlight - When all else fails to give you the healthy glow you're looking for, fake it. My go-to lately has been the new Anastasia Beverly Hills Illuminator in Starlight. Those looking for more of a summery vibe should check out any of their other colors, which are all a variation of warm golds and peaches. If this post had come three weeks ago, I would have wholeheartedly encouraged people to turn to any of the Becca highlighters, but ABH has dethroned them in my book, especially when Starlight lasted 12 hours on me (through talking on a phone and a nap) whereas Becca's pressed Moonstone faded after 8. The phone wasn't even on the Becca side, so you can't use that as an excuse. Apparently my skin just eats it. :o/

Speaking of eating... since ALOHA is a health-food company, I've included a fall recipe that you don't have to feel guilty about eating. This one is all about pumpkin! Being that I live in one of the top pumpkin-producing states in the U.S., it's only fitting that I showcase my love for the giant orange fruit. Well, actually a berry. But let's not get technical. All you need to know is that pumpkins are a great source of potassium and Vitamin A and they taste delicious.

Sadly, not my picture. It's courtesy of Google Images. But don't they look awesome?
3 Ingredient Pumpkin Muffins

1 box of cake mix (I've used yellow, vanilla, and spice. Any brand. Whatever is handy.)
1 15 oz can of pumpkin puree (Libby is an Illinois company - another fun pumpkin fact.)
1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice OR 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp allspice, and 1/4 tsp nutmeg
Optional: Toss in some chocolate chips (not so healthy, I know...), cinnamon chips, walnuts, pecans, cranberries... whatever strikes your fancy.

Mix it all together. Do NOT add any eggs or liquids. The pumpkin puree is all of the moisture that you need. Line a muffin pan, pour in your batter, and bake for 18-20 minutes at 350 degrees. I always double-check with a toothpick to make sure they're set in the middle. And you're good to go! Delicious, easy pumpkin muffins that only set you back 2-3 Weight Watcher points (or so I'm told. I'm not in WW and I have no idea how points translate into calories, but when I made these for work and told the people there, the WW ladies were very happy). If you frost them, you now have pumpkin cupcakes! I personally recommend a cream cheese frosting if you do go that route.

Fun twist for those of you who might ::GASP!:: hate pumpkin - if you use chocolate cake mix, you can't taste the pumpkin at all. I personally love pumpkin any time, any where. But convincing my husband to eat pumpkin muffins in March is a bit of a challenge, so I tried the chocolate version and he was none the wiser. O:o)

If you're curious, you can check out other recipes on ALOHA's site by clicking here.

No comments: