Monday, December 8, 2014

Burberry Eyeshadows Review + Swatches + F/EOTD

For my birthday last month, my husband indulged one of my all-time vices... BROWN EYESHADOW! Or, rather, neutral eyeshadow, since not all of these are brown. I know they all look pretty similar, but I still love them, and if I was going to get luxury makeup then I wanted to make sure it would be in classic colors that go with everything.

When people talk about eyeshadows they can just slap on with minimal effort/blending, these are them! I don't think it's possible to look overdone with these shadows. Even the darkest color blends out in two seconds into a beautiful smokey haze. Some people have said that the purpose of these eyeshadows (and other Burberry makeup, for that matter) is to make it look like it's blending in with your skin, like you are that gorgeous, versus "Wow, look at that chalky, unnatural color on her eyelid!" I don't know anyone with natural sparkly brown eyelids, but I get their point. Compared to say... Urban Decay... the Burberry eyeshadows do seem to melt (for lack of a better word) in with your skin a little easier. You don't have to build and blend and build and blend and build and blend, etc. You just swipe or pat them on (depending on how intense you want it), blend a little, and away you go. They're great no-fuss eyeshadows. Oh, and I didn't have any issue with fall out on my face or the brush kicking up extra powder in the pan.

Are they for everyone? Probably not. If you're into color, you'll probably be disappointed. If you like glittery shades, again, look elsewhere. Also, they're not the cheapest ($29 for 2.5 grams, compared to MAC's 1.5 g at $16 or Urban Decay's 1.5 g for $18). You know you're paying for the name and the gorgeous packaging, but also, I think, a really good product that's going to last you twice as long as the others. Burberry definitely seems like it's catering to the neutral-loving, classically-styled makeup wearer, so if you're that type of person, then give 'em a swatch! I would say I can't wait to try more colors, but I'm actually really happy with the four I have and don't feel a compelling need to get any more in the near future. Maybe once I start using up my other shadows...

Anyway... here they are!!

Burberry Trench, Almond, Midnight Brown, and Pale Barley (plus a Real Technique's Base Shadow Brush)
Burberry Trench, Almond, Midnight Brown, Pale Barley + Real Techniques Base Shadow Brush at an angle. Does this do anything for you guys? I tried to be more artsy, but I don't know if it's working. 
A note on the swatches: I swatched each eyeshadow twice, once with the sponge-tip applicator that comes in the eyeshadow and one more time with the Real Techniques Base Shadow Brush. I swiped the surface of the shadow three times and applied it to my arm with three swipes from each tool, so you get a good idea of what it looks like depending on your application method. I've decided that finger swatching isn't all it's cracked up to be. I don't apply powder eyeshadow with my finger, so why would I use it to swatch? I'm going to include brush swatches from now on because I feel it'll give a more accurate representation for what it's most likely going to look like on your eye (unless you build it up).
Burberry Trench 02 Eyeshadow - I swear it's there!
Trench 02 looks like a matte ivory in the pan, but on me it swatches to a pale khaki color. I really like this shade for blending the others out or as a really subtle brow bone color. People as pale as I am can't really call this a "highlight" shade like darker skintones can, but it's still really pretty. And please don't let the barely-visible swatch fool you. It IS pigmented, it just blends in with my skin too much to really be able to see that.

Burberry Almond 06 Eyeshadow
Almond 06 is a satiny neutral brown. I would say it's not totally matte, but there isn't any obvious glitter or shimmer, just a subtle sheen at times. In the store, it actually looked really warm. I almost didn't get it because of that, but since I read soooo many positive reviews, I took a chance and got it anyway. I'm very happy that I did. I like wearing this all over the lid with some eyeliner for a really basic look, or blended in the crease. On me, it's the perfect transition color. 

Burberry Midnight Brown 21 Eyeshadow
Midnight Brown 21 is another gorgeous neutral brown with golden shimmer. People have compared it to MAC Satin Taupe, but Midnight Brown blows it out of the water, in my opinion. I like it as a crease color, smudged along the lashes, or as a lid color in its own right. Even during the daytime, I don't think it's took dark or dramatic. Just a really effortless, shimmery brown.

Burberry Pale Barley 22 Eyeshadow
Pale Barley 22 is a glowy golden beige that's really kind of hard to describe. It's shimmery, but not obnoxiously so. It's pale, but can be darkened. It pretty much goes with everything. I was initially trying to decide between this and Rosewood and I'm so happy I went the Pale Barley route. (FYI, Rosewood looked like a pinky muddy mess on me. The SA even tried it on my eye and it still wasn't very pretty. So, if you've got my coloring, you've been forewarned.) Like the other colors I got, this one pretty much goes with anything, since it plays well with others but looks fantastic on its own, too.

And since I had to get a new passport picture taken, I figured I'd show my Burberry babies in action!





 I included both pictures to show how subtle the shimmer is in Pale Barley until suddenly WHAM! Golden glow. It's not an obnoxious glitter at all, just a really, really pretty sheen. I can totally see why people went gaga over Pale Barley when it first launched a couple years ago.

 Breakdown:
  • IT Cosmetics CC Cream in Fair
  • IT Cosmetics Bye-Bye Undereye Corrector in Light
  • IT Cosmetics Bye-Bye Undereye Concealer in Light
  • Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder under eyes only
  • Cover Girl Clean Powder in 510 Classic Ivory
  • Lancome Blush Subtil in Cedar Rose
  • Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed in Moonstone to highlight cheekbones
  • IT Cosmetics Brow Power in Universal
  • Benefit Gimme Brow in Light/Medium
  • Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze as an eyeshadow base
  • Burberry Pale Barley on the lid, Almond in the crease, Trench to blend it out and as a brow bone highlight, and Midnight Brown smudged over the eyeliner and under the lower lashes
  • Stila Smudge Stick in Lionfish smudged along top lashline, under the outer 1/3 of the lower lashes, and to tightline
  • Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner in Yeyo as a base for Trench on the brow bone, an inner corner highlight, and on the waterline
  • Cover Girl  Lash Blast Volume Mascara in Black-Brown
  • Sonia Kashuk Shine Luxe Lip Color in Sheer Pink Lust 21

I am going to swatch these next to some other colors from my collection, so stay tuned for a comparison post! 

No comments: