Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Halloween Tag

Halloween is without a doubt my favorite holiday. It has been since I was little. I may have even mentioned it a time or two on here. So, even though I'm just a lurker on YouTube, I couldn't help but jump on his tag as soon as I saw it. I snagged the questions off of Marianne's blog here

THE HALLOWEEN TAG QUESTIONS:

1. What is your favorite Halloween movie? Hocus Pocus. I watch it every year, sometimes during other parts of the year (I do it with Christmas movies too; I'm not just playing favorites to one season). I'm also a huge fan of Practical Magic and Sleepy Hollow. I watch those multiple times in a year, too.

2. At what age did you stop trick-or-treating? I was probably in my early teens. I don't actually remember, probably because even though I stopped trick-or-treating, I still dress(ed) up to hand out candy. It's kind of the same thing, right? Except half of the work because I already buy the candy I like. 


3. What is your favorite Halloween tradition? For the past six years my husband and I have thrown a Halloween party for our friends and everyone has a blast. It's not the stuffy costume party like Allison's parents have in Hocus Pocus, though. Three words: apple.pie.shots. Other than the party, though, my husband and I dress up (like I said earlier) to hand out candy. 


4. What is your favorite Halloween food/beverage? Apple pie shots? Kidding. Not really. I love apple cider. Something about it being America's historical drink of choice, plus the plethora of its availability in both alcoholic and non-alcoholic versions makes me happy. Other than that, I guess I would say Italian beef, which sounds weird, but it's usually what we serve at our party, so I've come to associate it with Halloween. 


5. Do you like going to haunted attractions? Yes and no. I loved when we went to a haunted corn maze and when we went to Howl-O-Scream at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA because they had seven different haunted houses and creatures based on which "country"/section of the theme park you were in, i.e., zombies in Italy, werewolves in New France, vampires in France, etc. But, I'm also a chicken and I have an incredibly exaggerated startle reflex. So, even though I know it's all fake and nothing will hurt me, I still jump and shriek like a five year old, much to my embarrassment and my husband's ceaseless amusement.


6. Vampires, witches or werewolves? This is such a hard question. Seriously. I love vampires. I've totally fallen for the Victorian portrayal of tortured souls and endless love wrapped up in merciless killing machines. However, I love witches, as evidenced by my ongoing love for Hocus Pocus and Practical Magic. I love Salem and studying the historical witch trials, too. Werewolves are cool, but they're definitely my least favorite. So, I'm going to cheat and say.... Vampires for novels and movies, but witches in a scholarly, real-world sense. 


7. What is your favorite Halloween candy? It depends. Usually some combination of chocolate and caramel or chocolate and peanut butter. So, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Snickers, Twix, Milky Ways, etc. No Whoppers or Hershey Bars, please. I don't like the malt and I prefer smoother chocolate a la Ghiradelli or Godiva, because I'm a chocolate snob.


8. Do you decorate your house for Halloween? Inside and outside. We've had the interior decorations up since the last week of August. No joke. After Halloween, the macabre stuff goes away, leaving the pumpkins and maple leaves through Thanksgiving and then it's full-on Christmas for a month. 


9. Pumpkin Patches, Corn Mazes, or Hayrides? We grow our own pumpkins. I haven't been on a hayride in forever, so Corn Maze! 


10. What are your plans for this Halloween? The day of we're handing out candy before I have to go to work at 11 pm and the next night we're having our annual Halloween party. 


11. What is your favorite Halloween TV episode/special? I'm actually quite partial to "All Halliwell's Eve" on Charmed, Season 3 Episode 4, where they travel back to the 1600s and meet their ancestor. However, I am also a fan of Catherine Bell's series on Hallmark called The Good Witch. (See, I really do have a thing for witches...) And I'm super excited that they're turning the TV-movies into an actual TV series in 2015!


12. Do you believe in ghosts? Have you ever held a seance or done ouija? Yes, I believe in ghosts. There's just too many recordings, pictures, videos, personal experiences, etc. to deny there's something else after death and sometimes people don't move on. I have never held a seance or played with a ouija board because that is just inviting trouble, in my opinion. 


13. What is your scariest Halloween experience? When I was little, like six or seven, we went to a historical farm for some Halloween event and one of the actors came up and grabbed me from behind. I think that's part of what put me off going to a lot of haunted houses, even though I know they can't touch you anymore. I still hate when people sneak up on me. 


Thanks for reading, and I hope everyone has a Happy Halloween!

No comments: