Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Schick Hydro Silk Senstive Care Razor

I never really thought I'd review a razor on here.. but I was fortunate (or should I say unfortunate) enough to try one out thanks to a new BzzAgent campaign. ((Disclosure time: I am a BzzAgent and was sent this for free. This review is ENTIRELY my own, as I'm sure Schick would NOT be happy to read it.))

This is what Schick has to say, via the BzzAgent website:

THE HYDRATION HYPE IS FOR REAL

Hypoallergenic Moisturizing Serum infused with Shea Butter. 5 Curve-Sensing blades. Skin Guards. All those features might just sound like bells and whistles for now, but trust us – as soon as you take a few strokes with Schick® Hydro Silk® Sensitive Care® razor, everything will make perfect sense.
Winter can be especially tough on sensitive skin. Dermatologist-tested Schick® Hydro Silk®Sensitive Care® razor delivers a better hydration boost than any other razor. The Hypoallergenic Moisturizing Serum hydrates your skin for up to two hours after shaving while the 5 Curve-Sensing blades protect your skin from irritation. So even while you’re bundled up in a parka, your legs will feel like hitting the beach all winter long.

I'll admit I was actually kind of excited to try a new razor, especially one designed specifically for sensitive skin. Not that there's anything wrong with my current razor (a Gilette Venus Embrace, if you must know), but new is new and, well, I get bored easily. Plus, it was free. :)

When I got it in the mail, I happily tore into it and oohed and ahhed over the pretty blue and pearly white colors. The next time I showered, I lathered up with some shaving cream and got to work. OMFG! You would have thought it was my first time shaving. There was blood everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Ok, not everywhere, but it was in enough places that I was NOT happy. My knees (front and back) took the worst of it. And then a funny thing happened... when I used it on my underarms (gross, ok, I know, but we all have to do it unless you're using alternative methods) those deadly, katana-sharp razors that left blood pooling around my ankles... did nothing. I had to swipe up and down and sideways, multiple times, to get a smooth shave on my underarms. WTF? A brand new razor, fresh out of the box, and yet my underarms refused to get smooth. I ended up going OVER it again with my Venus razor and voila! Smooth underarms!

Grudgingly, I used the Schick again and took extra, extra, extra precautions. I made sure my skin was nice and soft and exfoliated, the water was hot, and I had plenty of shaving cream. The result? The same effin' thing! Every time that I used it, I ended up with tiny nicks and cuts all over my legs. I've been shaving for many moons, now, and my technique has been perfectly fine. Even using the lightest stroke humanly possible, I still ended up with cuts. I wasn't even done showering when I finally threw the blasted thing at my husband and told him to throw it out, immediately, and all the extra cartridges and packaging that went with it.

So, A+ on the razor sharpness, but F- on the actual performance. The fact that the razor's head barely tilts/moves at all probably had something to do with the disaster zone that is my knee area. Oh, and the pretty aqua moisture strips? They were, indeed, moisturizing, but they also left a slime trail on your leg. Other than a nicely shaped handle and aesthetically pleasing color scheme (deep blue with pearlescent white), I can't think of one nice thing to say about this razor.

No comments: