Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Depotting my Flirt! palette.

While organizing my collection and doing my little flash cards, I came to the conclusion that I never use my Flirt! palette. I blame it entirely on the big, bulky packaging. It sat in the bottom of my eyeshadow drawer, beneath other, slimmer palettes. I didn't think it was worth the effort to remove everything and haul it out, only to try and balance it either on my lap (no thank you) or on the precious little space on my vanity top, between cups of brushes and eyeliners. 

So... I bought two Z Palettes. I know. I know. I could have made them, or found dupes, or whatever, but a) I'm lazy b) I'm not crafty and c) I'm impatient. I wanted everything depotted and I wanted it depotted NOW! One little click on Amazon and a few days later, two large, black Z Palettes arrived. 


The actual depotting was really easy. The tray of eyeshadows just lifted right out of the big box they came in. Then, with the help of a little fire and a metal cuticle pusher thingy, I got it all done in about 20 minutes. I just heated the bottom of the plastic with the lighter, for about 5-8 seconds, to loosen the glue and shrink the plastic. Then, I slid the manicure tool thingy around the edge of the shadow to loosen it the rest of the way. Most of them popped out with very little effort. It just stinks. Obviously. (Side note: while the palettes come with extra magnets, I found I didn't need any. The base plate/magnet was strong enough to hold these really well. The smidgen of glue residue probably doesn't hurt, either.)


My one minor complaint about the Z Palette system was that I couldn't fit all 40 eyeshadows into one palette. The large size only holds 28. And the smaller size holds 9. I'm not a mathematician, but those numbers don't work for me. So, instead of having to sacrifice three shadows, I just opted to buy two of the large sizes and leave myself room to depot/add anything else. 


I wasn't very original how I arranged them. I basically took the first half of the original palette and put it in one, and then the other half in the other. It happens to work out that the top one is mostly warm-ish and the bottom is mostly cool-ish. Or, one is mostly neutrals/browns/greens and the other is grays/purples/pinks/blues. They don't have names, so I don't have to worry about making a chart or anything like that. 


No more big, bulky packaging!


Even double-stacked, the Z Palettes are still slimmer than the whole Flirt! package. I'm so happy I did this. I'm really looking forward to being able to use these eyeshadows. They're like a forgotten treasure!

No comments: