Monday, January 13, 2014

Rotating My Collection


Having come to the realization that I have more eyeshadow than anything else and that not every piece in my collection gets the love/attention that it should, I've come up with a way to ensure that I rotate through my collection. 

Over on MakeupTalk, there is a group doing what they call the "Monday Club." Every Monday (or Sunday night), they pick a few items to use that week and then report back on their thoughts/progress. It's also a good way to evaluate something and see if it's a keeper or not. Since I already have a basket of stuff I want to use up, I decided to focus my attention just on my eyeshadows. 

So, while I was bored out of my mind at work one day (trust me.. it's a rare occasion) I made up a bunch of note cards with every "type" or grouping of eyeshadows I have. I ended up with 25, plus one "Free for all." So, once a week I'm going to pick a new card and only use the eyeshadows on the card. To make it even easier/less stressful, I just flip the cards over to the blank side, shuffle them, and randomly pick. I'm keeping the cards separated to ensure that I go through them all. (For the curious, I keep the "used" cards paper clipped together on my vanity to remind myself of the project while the yet-to-be-used are paper clipped and stored inside my eyeshadow drawer.)  

I started with Clinique single eyeshadows and this week I picked the Urban Decay Naked 1 palette, which I'm actually really excited about. I think it's because with the Clinique singles, I was limited to five colors, all in varying shades of brown and cream, which is normally not a problem, but there definitely wasn't as much variety as a whole palette. 

For the uber curious... here's my list/groupings. For some pairings, like the Shu Uemura & Nars, or the Maybelline & Cover Girl, I grouped them together because I only had one of each and it would have been really hard/boring to just use ONE white eyeshadow all week. ::coughNarsTibetcough:: 

Singles: 
Benefit singles
Bobbi Brown singles
Clinique singles
Clinique duos
Clinique quads
Flirt! singles
IT Cosmetics trios
Lancome quads
L'Oreal singles
Maybelline quad & Cover Girl single
Shu Uemura single & Nars single
Urban Decay singles

Palettes:
Bobbi Brown Shimmering Nudes 
Cargo Vintage Escape
Coastal Scents 88 Warm 
Flirt! 40 pan palette
Lancome customized palette
Lorac Pro 
Lorac Unzipped 
MAC customized palette
Sonia Kashuk Eye on Neutral Matte 
Urban Decay Naked 1
Urban Decay Naked 2
Urban Decay Naked 3
Urban Decay Naked Basics

Hopefully this is helpful to other people looking at ways to rotate their stuff. And I guess I should also put a disclaimer out here that if I have a special event/outfit planned and the eyeshadow I've picked that week doesn't jive, I'm not exactly going to hold myself hostage to the card... I'll go with whatever I want. But for day-to-day stuff, like work and school, I'll use the card as my guideline. 

No comments: