Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year's Beauty Resolutions and an Epiphany (or two)



Some years I make resolutions and some years I don't. I don't like setting myself up for failure, and unfortunately that's how most of my New Year's resolutions tend to end up. Stop swearing so much? Yeah, right. Eat healthy and exercise more? Who has the time? Excuses, I know. So, rather than set myself up for disappointment, I'm going to make resolutions that I know I can stick to.

  1. Use the beauty stuff that I already own. It sounds so simple, I know... until I'm tempted by some shiny new product, or my skin changes and doesn't quite like the other stuff, or I just get bored. There, I said it. But to help with this, I have a basket set up on my vanity that I filled with stuff to use up. The Clinique Really Black eyeliner is one of those items. I bet you couldn't tell from my recent EOTDs, could you? To encourage myself to keep up with this method, I'll periodically throw new stuff in there, just to keep things interesting.
  2. Don't buy new stuff unless it's to replace a necessity, or it's totally unique and I haz to have it, precious!!! Now, to clarify, this isn't a strict no-buy. It's not even really a low-buy. It's just "Hey, Dingbat! You have an entire vanity full of makeup at home. Do you really need another pinky rose lipstick or a brown eyeshadow?" Nine times out of ten the answer will be "no," and the problem solves itself. Luckily, I just got three fantastic palettes over the past two months and I have gift cards to Ulta and Sephora for anything else that may just catch my eye. So, if you're spending someone else's money, then it technically doesn't count, right? Right. 
  3. Purge the bad stuff. And by bad, I mean super expired/can't remember when you bought it products or just the stuff that does.not.work! I know it's money down the drain, but I'm tired of kicking a shoebox full of products that just do not work for me, hoping that six months from now when I pull it out, that said product will suddenly have a change of heart and will work in a way that I want it to. I've already given away a lot of stuff, but it's time to do another purge and reorganize for the new year. 
Ok. So it's only three resolutions, and they're not that earth shattering, especially since I unofficially started doing this a year or two ago. I've just gotten to the point where I certainly don't need any more makeup. I don't want to get down to the "minimalist" type of collection, where I only have one palette, one eyeliner, and one lipstick, etc. But I want my collection to eventually be whittled down to Holy Grail items only. I did this with my wardrobe a few years ago and it's made my life so much easier. I can just walk in, grab whatever I want, and walk out without worrying about how to make it work or if it will fit, or if it's still "my style." So, eventually I want my makeup collection to follow suit. Instead of having ten black eyeliners, I want to just have one or two (probably Stila's Stingray and Maybelline's Midnight Master, if I had to guess). Same with lipsticks, just as another example. I don't need a dozen pink lipsticks when two or even three will suffice. I think that's what this whole makeup buying/collecting has been about in the long run, anyway... just me trying to find the perfect products for me, and having to weed through a lot before I get there.

Speaking of lipsticks and particular colors... that leads me to my next beauty epiphany. There are certain products that I've come to realize I have little to no use for, which will make this whole mission to reduce my collection easier. So... here's a quick list of things, in no particular order, that I just won't be buying in 2014, unless something totally knocks my socks off:
  • Blush
  • Bronzer
  • Foundation
  • Face Primers
  • Lipstick
  • Lip gloss
  • Lip crayons
  • Lip liners
  • Pencil eyeliners that need to be sharpened
  • Liquid eyeliner
  • Gel/Cream eyeliner 
  • Nail polish
  • Eye creams
  • Toners
  • Facial serums
I think that's about it. I could probably put shampoo/conditioner, lip balm, and lotion to the list, too, since I have soooo much of it to get through, but.. eh. Who cares? I think that's already a pretty admirable list. Admitting that I don't need/want any of that stuff is kind of refreshing. It lets me focus on what I truly love about makeup... eyeshadows and mechanical pencil eyeliners and mascara. ::lesigh:: 

No comments: