Thursday, January 23, 2014

First Impression: IT Cosmetics Naturally Pretty Palette

To be honest, I hadn't really planned on buying this palette. Mattes aren't really my "thing." But I think that could be because until recently they haven't always had the best formula and I could never get them to look quite right on me. Since I had a 20% off prestige brands at Ulta, I figured, why not? Just from swatching alone, I think this palette is going to be amazing! I already love my trios from IT Cosmetics, so I'm sure playing with this palette is going to be a lot of fun. 

For $42, you get 14 colors, plus one very large pan of the "Transforming Pearl" shade. The majority of other reviewers have said the Transforming Pearl is best left as a highlight/inner corner shade, since when you apply it over the darker colors it mutes their brightness/saturation a bit. That being said, I still like it and think it's a good way to lightening a look if you've gone a little heavy-handed with a dark color. 

The exterior is a pretty, squishy, pink suede with gold lettering. Some people have complained that it's going to wear/fade like the Urban Decay Naked 1 palette, but I guess I'm not that hard on my palettes, so that hasn't been an issue for me as of yet. It has a magnetic closure/flap and a decent sized mirror on the inside. I also really appreciate that they put the names of the colors inside, versus on a plastic insert (ahem, Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette), or on the back of the palette (looking at you, Stila). 

I should also point out that both the exterior box and the back of the actual palette say this is technically the "Naturally Pretty Vol. 1 Matte Luxe Transforming Eyeshadow Palette," which leads you to believe there will be more palettes in the future. Unfortunately, it's only available online at Ulta's website, QVC (with a dual-ended eyeshadow brush), and, of course, the IT Cosmetics website. Ulta said it wouldn't be available in stores until the end of February. 

The squishy, pink suede palette!
The back of the palette, with a nice quote from the founder of IT Cosmetics.
Direct light 
Direct light closeup
Indirect light closeup
Direct light
Direct light with the transforming pearl
Indirect light
Indirect light with the transforming pearl
As always, these were just swatched on bare, dry skin. No primers or bases of any kind. And I would also like to mention that these really stay put! Even after I wiped it off with a towel (vigorously, I might add), you could see where the darkest colors had literally "stained" my arm. Granted, they came off with soap and water, but that's still pretty impressive for an eyeshadow.

No comments: