Wednesday, December 25, 2013

First Impression: Clarisonic Mia 2


Santa made all of my beauty wishes come true this year! And by "all of," I mean the two that I had: Urban Decay Naked 3 and the Clarisonic Mia 2. I did get some other beauty goodies, too, including a vanilla lip balm, a cinnamon cookie scented hand lotion, emory boards (I always seem to lose mine), three NYX Butter Glosses, and gift cards to Sephora and Ulta! I love that my family knows me so well.

Anyways... on to the Clarisonic.

I have been hemming and hawing over getting a Clarisonic ever since they hit the market. But $200 is A LOT to spend on a cleansing brush. It's a lot to spend on ANY beauty item, in my book. So I waited.

And waited.

And waited some more.

Then I saw the original Mias were on sale for $99. Whoa! What a steal! But, as I was re-reading Clarisonic reviews for the zillionth time, I saw the Mia 2 was $150. Essentially, the fact that the Mia 2 has two speeds to choose from sealed the deal for me.

Speed forward to twenty minutes ago. I briefly washed my face (mostly just my eye makeup) with my hands, water, and Purpose Gentle Cleanser and rinsed. Then I squirted some Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser (I've heard a lot of people use Cetaphil and/or CeraVe with their Mias, so I figured I'd follow suit) on the damp brush head and set to work on the lower of the two settings.

I started on my chin, and moved the brush around a little. Having had the Olay Pro-X brush (review here), it was weird that the bristles didn't move. Obviously, I know how the Mia works (sonic technology vs. actually spinning) but it was an adjustment. Also, I expected it to BEEP beep when it was time to change "zones" on my face. But the vibration skipped for a second and it was more of a deep "tone" noise. If you've ever operated one of these things, hopefully you'll know what I'm talking about and can maybe describe it better. But I was expecting a BEEP like when you're coffee is ready, not just a subtle tonal sound. Once I figured that part out, I was able to change zones accordingly the next time. I also like that the Mia shuts off after a 1 minute cycle, so it's impossible to "over do it" unless you physically push the power button on again. 

When I was done, I didn't notice a whole lot of gunk in the brush. That may be because a) I did a pre-wash/cleanse or b) I don't wear that heavy of makeup (today was just a CC cream). Either way, I don't really mind. My skin still felt clean, which is the important part, but not tight-dry-flakey clean. And speaking of flakes, mine are 98% gone. I noticed some dry patches on my nose, but that was about it. My forehead was flake-free for the first time this winter. And my skin feels smoother overall, except for the spots I'm breaking out or are in the process of healing. My chin is always a problem area for congestion and it feels much, much smoother. I don't really have very large pores or fine lines to begin with, so I didn't notice much of a difference in that department. 

So, is the Mia 2 worth $150 (or $70-$90 on eBay)? It's definitely too soon to tell, but we'll see where it goes from here. I'll keep you guys posted. I'm curious to know if I'll go through the dreaded "purge" cycle as the vibrations dredge all the crud up out of my pores, or if I'll be one of the blessed few who escapes horrific breakouts in the quest for better skin.

No comments: