Monday, December 30, 2013

Cargo Vintage Escape Eye Palette

The Cargo Vintage Escape Eye Palette (I got mine at Kohl's) in a plastic box with a sticker/sleeve.
The palette without the packaging - it's a faux brown leather, with a magnetic closure.

For $39 (give or take, depending on where you buy this and if there's a sale or you have coupons), you get 12 eyeshadows. I would say there are 4 mattes (Black Crow, Hot Cocoa, Autumn, and Chestnut), 1 satin (Harvest Moon, which is barely visible, but I swear it's in the upper left), and 7 shimmers (Cuddle, Frolic, Cinnamon, Twigs, Crisp, Withered Leaves, and Rustic). You also get a dual-ended brush (flat shader on one side and angled liner on the other), which I could really do without. I prefer my own brushes, but it's a nice effort. My main issue is with the flat-shader side. It's a bit wobbly inside the ferrule, which I find irritating. The liner side was fine, though.

Despite the fact that Harvest Moon is barely visible on my skin, it still makes a pretty non-shimmery highlight, especially compared to Crisp. And in person, Withered Leaves is much more of an olivey-green-gold than is being swatched/captured in photos. It didn't help that it's super cloudy here in Po'Dunk (thanks Winter Storm Gemini!) and I couldn't get very good lighting. All of the other colors are pretty true to their swatches. Some people might be disappointed in how light Black Crow actually is, but I don't mind it, honestly. I rarely use black as an actual eyeshadow color (except for my New Orleans' Saints makeup, which I'll have an EOTD coming later during the playoffs), so I don't mind that it's not the most opaque because I just use it to a) deepen another crease color or b) on top of eye liner. I never use eyeshadow as eyeliner alone because it fades on me, even with a primer. 

Speaking of which, I get a good 8-10 hours of wear without creasing on top of MAC Painterly Paint Pot. By 12 hours, there is creasing, but that tends to happen with almost any eyeshadow on me. And normally I never wear eyeshadow that long. When I wore NYX HD Eye Shadow Base underneath, I got 15+ hours of wear before slight creasing started to appear. 

I've never tried Cargo cosmetics before, but I really, really like this palette. I've worn it three days in a row now, but I'm by no means done playing with it. The colors are very neutral, even the bluish-gray Twigs, and I can't get over how much I love their names!

No comments: