Sunday, December 4, 2011

NYX Butt Naked Palette

"Naked" and "Nude" palettes are still the hot items in makeup, it seems, what with the launch of Urban Decay Naked 2, theBalm Nude 'tude palette and now... NYX Butt "Naked" Eyes - which is kind of misleading, because the palette includes 4 blushes, 2 highlighters and 1 bronzer in addition to the 15 MAC-sized eyeshadows.

The eyeshadows are on top (with a full-sized mirror under the lid) and the blushes slide out from underneath. It kind of sticks a little bit, which is probably because it's new. But I don't really mind because I know it won't open in my makeup bag while traveling.

For those who are disappointed in the lack of cool toned, matte eyeshadows in Urban Decay Naked 2, the NYX palette might be more up your alley. There are 7 matte (and some possibly a satin) colors and 8 shimmery ones. Granted, the pigmentation is lacking in some of the colors, as you'll see in the swatches, but at $20-25* versus $50, and 3 extra eyeshadows plus the face powders, the NYX palette is a better value. *I say $20 because they're on sale right now at Ulta, but they're regular retail is $25.


Of the 4 blushes, 2 are shimmery and 2 are completely matte. The bronzer is a little dark for the uber-pale (like me) and the highlighters are ok. I prefer the champagne color in the center over the peachy/gold on the far right.

1st row of eyeshadows. I know it's hard to tell, but there are actually 5 swatches there. I feel like these would best be used as an all over color to make application smoother or as highlighters (especially the one on the far right) but not necessarily as a color in and of themselves. Unless you wanted a really naked look.

2nd row of eyeshadows. By far my favorite color in the palette is the purplish-gray taupe in the very center. I need to find out of NYX makes this as a single and buy 10. It is that gorgeous.

3rd row of eyeshadows.

Blushes on top, bronzer and highlighters on bottom.


The highlighters up close.

3 comments:

Micheala said...

I just wanted to say thanks for doing a stellar job with the review. I have been searching Google for a decent review with pictures and yours definitely helped make me decision. I am officially running to Ulta tomorrow to snatch this palette up. Anywho, thanks again :)

Ashley said...

Thank you! I'm glad I could help. :)

Miranda said...

Great blog. I just started to follow =) I just ordered this the other day and can't wait to get it. Looks so pretty!

Would love for you to come check out my blog and follow if you like =)

have a great day!