Monday, June 27, 2011

Swatch Wars!

So today's Swatch War is of a different variety... It's all about mascara. Do formulas matter? How about the brush? Are they really the "blackest black" mascara on the market? To help answer those questions, I'm pitting Maybelline One by One Volum' Express in Very Black versus Cover Girl Lash Blast Volume in Blackest Black (the darkest color in each of their respective ranges).

Both tubes are approximately the same price in any given drugstore and both feature a rubber-bristle brush. The difference? The Maybelline brush is kind of curved and super flexible. I mean, super. You barely have to push against it for it to bend. The Cover Girl brush? It's like a war club: rigid, straight and spiky.


Maybelline One by One Volum' Express


Cover Girl Lash Blast Volume


Maybelline on left; Cover Girl on right
For some reason, I couldn't get the Maybelline side to "smear" properly. However, I can attest that they are both the same shade of black.

Now for the scary part...

Nekkid eyes!

Ah! This is why I refuse to leave the house without mascara on!


Cover Girl on right eye (left side of screen); Maybelline on left eye (right side of screen).

So, they look almost identical... I think the Maybelline side has a teensy, tiny bit more of a "spiky" look, whereas the Cover Girl side looks more fanned out.

As far as application goes, I prefer the Cover Girl wand. It's ramrod-straight brush might be difficult for some people to wield, but I like it because it means I never have to comb my lashes when I'm done, no matter how many coats I layer on. The Maybelline one feels wimpy by comparison and I seem to get a lot transfer to my eyelid when I use it.

Also, when I initially bought the Maybelline I hated it. It was very liquidy and the smell was kind of pungent. After a few weeks it died down and the formula thickened up to the proper consistency, but I don't want to have to go through all that hassle again. The Cover Girl one is awesome from the first swipe to the last, in my experience.

With that, I think it's safe to say that Cover Girl Lash Blast Volume is the winner of this war. :)

1 comment:

Barbie said...

Thanks for the comparison!

I also find that after you open the mascara (and it's been opened a few days) it's usually better than when it's brand new! :-)