Sunday, March 13, 2011

Aveeno Smart Essentials Pore Purifying Facial Wash


Normally I try to test drive a skin care product for at least two weeks before I make any kind of comment on how well it works. Unfortunately with this one, I only needed a few days.

Aveeno has this to say about the product:
To get great, healthy looking skin, make a clean start. Diet, free-radicals, lack of sleep and a hectic lifestyle can rob your skin of essential nourishment, resulting in noticeably stressed skin. Formulated with antioxidant Southernwood extract, SMART ESSENTIALS™ Pore Purifying Facial Wash helps keep what's good for your skin in and what's bad out, purifying and renewing your skin with each wash. Smart skincare that knows what your skin needs and what it doesn't because:

It keeps the good in:
•Mild formula supports moisture by cleansing without over-drying skin.

And the bad out:
•Cleanses to remove impurities, dirt and makeup.
•Removes excess oil to create more balanced skin.


For $7 or so bucks a bottle, you can't go wrong, right? Wrong!

In my quest for a simple, effective skincare routine, I've learned some pretty interesting things about my skin. For starters, it doesn't like natural anything. Surprised? Me too!

Over the past couple of weeks I've discovered that anything that claims to be natural or organic just leads to burning, redness, and/or makes my skin flake (which I think is in large thanks to seborrheic dermatitis, but I'll save that for another post).

I thought Aveeno would be a great brand because they tend to cater toward simple/gentle. Not with this puppy. While it may be oil-free and soap-free and all that other jazz, it is heavily, heavily fragranced, which I think is due to the Southernwood extract that they're touting as the miracle worker in this product.

The pros? It took off all of my eye makeup, worked well by itself and with the Olay spinny brush, and didn't leave a film or residue behind. The price isn't bad and it doesn't have any SLS, which some people are looking for these days.

The cons? Ugh, the smell! And the severe burning/redness/flaking I mentioned earlier. All was well the first two days and then on the third my face looked like I'd just rolled around in poison ivy.

For people like me, I do not recommend this cleanser. For people not allergic or sensitive to natural oils and fragrance, it might be something to investigate. Might want to do a patch test or two... just to be on the safe side.

Ingredients:
Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Coco-Glucoside, Glycerin, Hydroxypropyl Starch Phosphate, Citric Acid, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Glyceryl Oleate, Sodium Benzoate, Fragrance, Glycol Distearate, Polyquaternium-7, Sodium Hydroxide, Butylene Glycol, Artemisia Abrotanum Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Hydrolyzed Caeasalpinia Spinosa Gum, Caesalpinia Spinosa Gum..

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

You have the most wonderful timing with your reviews! I was just about to skip along to the store to buy this today, sat down to play on the internet while my husband/ride got ready...and now I am looking for alternative products! Thank you! I hope your poor skin recovers quickly :(

Molly said...

This burned my skin too!! My whole face was on fire this morning and bright red all over. It's been about 12 hours and the redness is gone but my face is still burning!

pureJeanius said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pureJeanius said...

Nice review. I saw an ad of the Aveeno Smart Essentials earlier and was thinking about getting this wash. After reading your review, I don't think I want to try it anymore.

http://purejeanius.blogspot.com