Sunday, February 6, 2011

Olay Sensitive Skin Therapy Lotion



I used to use Olay in high school and it worked great. But, the grass always looks greener and I ventured off to other products. During the Great Moisturizer Hunt, I decided to try Olay again because I a) remembered how much I liked it b) it had great reviews and c) my mom uses it and she definitely does not look her age - so how could I go wrong?

Well... first there was the problem with the name. The great reviews were for the "Sensitive Skin Moisture Therapy Lotion." The reviews for the "Active Hydrating Beauty Fluid - Sensitive Skin" were not so great... And Olay's website only shows the Active Hydrating Beauty Fluid, not the other one. I asked myself, what gives? So, I e-mailed them.

Here is their response, which I hope will clear up this issue for anyone out there searching for one version or the other: The Active Hydrating Beauty Fluid for Sensitive Skin and the Sensitive Moisture Therapy Lotion are the same product. The Sensitive Moisture Therapy Lotion is the Canadian name for the Active Hydrating Beauty Fluid Sensitive Skin.

Okkkaaayyy. Now I'm with ya. But there's still the issue of one product/name having great reviews, while people slam the other. I decided to take a leap of faith anyway.

After serious searching, I finally found yet another version called Sensitive Skin Therapy Lotion at my local Target. No one else (Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Jewel-Osco, etc) had the kind I was looking for (SPF free, sensitive skin lotion, not cream). It was only $9.49 for 6 oz, which I thought was quite a steal.

Pros: It did moisturize well, absorbed quickly, didn't contain SPF (which is important to me because I tend to break out from it), and fragrance-free.

Cons: It broke me out. :( Whenever I try a new skincare item, I make sure that I don't change anything else in my regimen, so I know what's working and what's not. Within a day, this lotion gave me little whiteheads in areas I don't normally break out (like my temples and cheeks). So, back to Target it went.

I've also become really concerned with ingredients because of this website, so I'll try and list them wherever possible so people looking for them can find them. :)

Ingredients: WATER, GLYCERIN, ISOHEXADECANE, NIACINAMIDE, DIMETHICONE, ISOPROPYL ISOSTEARATE, POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE, SUCROSE POLYCOTTONSEEDATE, ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF JUICE, CHAMOMILLA RECUTITA (MATRICARIA) FLOWER EXTRACT, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, POLYACRYLAMIDE, PANTHENOL, C13-14 ISOPARAFFIN, DIMETHICONOL, ETHYLPARABEN, SORBITAN STEARATE, TITANIUM DIOXIDE, POLYQUATERNIUM-10, CETEARYL GLUCOSIDE, PROPYLPARABEN, LAURETH-7, PEG-100 STEARATE, STEARIC ACID, DISODIUM EDTA, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, STEARYL ALCOHOL, BENZYL ALCOHOL, CETYL ALCOHOL, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, AMMONIUM POLYACRYLATE.

No comments: