Monday, January 24, 2011

Olay Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System


It's been two weeks since I've had the Olay spinny brush and I think that's an adequate amount of time to review it. For starters, I feel like I should clarify one of the biggest differences between the Olay brush and the Clarisonic version. The Olay one doesn't vibrate or have any kind of sonic technology - it spins (hence me calling it the 'spinny brush' all the time). On a side note: Clean 'n Clear will be coming out with a vibrating brush called Morning Burst Surge, but as of this posting, it's not even available on their website yet.

Ok, now that that is out of the way. The other difference between Olay and Clarisonic? The price! Olay = $30. Clarisonic Mia (the smaller version) = $149. Yeouch!

The Olay spinny brush runs on two AA batteries (that they're actually nice enough to give to you, too!) and can be used in the shower, worry-free. The replacement brush heads are about $9, too.

It comes with two settings - high and low - that you just change by pushing a button. The first time I used it, I used it on high. My face felt a little tight afterward, so I lowered it down and I've been using just the low setting ever since. Also a word of warning: the battery compartment is a pain to get opened. You have to hold it and wiggle it back and forth to get it to pop open. But, it snapped back into place easily enough.


The "kit" I bought at Sam's Club ($37) included a full-sized version of the Olay Pro X Exfoliating Renewal Cleanser, which normally retails for $18-$20. From what I understand, the boxed version pictured above only comes with a sample of the cleanser, but both kits/versions come with batteries and the brush head replacement.


I'm still kind of on the fence about the cleanser. You can feel the grit in the cleanser and it's nice and evenly distributed. I like that it lathers up and doesn't have much of a smell. On it's own, I think it's ok for daily use, but combined with the spinny brush? Eh...I think it might be a little too much, especially for sensitive skin. Also, I'm not too keen on cleansers that require me to use a separate cleanser for eye makeup. Call me lazy, but I like an all-in-one product.

So, my final thoughts on the spinny brush? ...since I kind of got off on a tangent...

I like it. Still out on the cleanser, but I really like the spinny brush. I just use Purpose Gentle Cleanser with mine, for a minute or so, every night and I can honestly say that I've had less breakouts and less flakes. I still have a couple blemishes (I doubt even a Clarisonic could combat hormones...) and the occasional flake or two (because it's below zero here in Po'Dunk), but overall I'm quite happy with it. I honestly didn't expect to see a difference, but I think my skin looks smoother and I've noticed that I don't need to use as much moisturizer anymore. Can't beat that for just $30 bucks.


No comments: