Wednesday, January 26, 2011

LOTD Cover Girl Natureluxe Gloss Balm in Sandstone

As soon as I saw Taylor Swift's ads for the new Natureluxe line from Cover Girl, I was stoked. I'm a fan of her anyway, but her pictures just looked absolutely gorgeous. Like that ethereal angel we all want to be - or maybe, just what I want to be. I mean... look at her!



Anyway. Cover Girl's Natureluxe Gloss Balms claim to have "luxurious, sheer color with a hint of shine," the "lightweight feel of a balm" and SPF 15 for good measure. It also "contains decadent mango and shea butter" as opposed to all that synthetic stuff cosmetics companies seem to be getting away from. Not too shabby for a "gloss/balm" that retails for $6.49-$7.49 (Wal-Mart vs. Walgreens pricing there...).

There's 16 shades at the time of this posting, but I'll only be reviewing one: #265 in Sandstone. Why? Because that's the color Cover Girl said Taylor was wearing in the ads. Sucker? Yes. Plus, I was color-matched to that shade on the Cover Girl website. So... I thought it was a safe bet.

I would describe Sandstone as a soft pink that's flirting with peach. There is absolutely no brown anywhere in this color, so I'm not sure where they're picking the name from... but it's a gorgeous, understated lip color. This would be perfect for spring/summer months when you don't want to shellac on a heavy lipstick.

It's moisturizing, yes, but I wouldn't totally replace my regular lip balm with just the Natureluxe one. I would, however, be able to take just the Natureluxe one out for a day of running around and be perfectly fine without my regular lip balm until I got home. It's nice and slim and fits easily in your pocket, but there have already been complaints about the sticker/label peeling off of the tube. I can personally attest to that fact - the corner of my label will not stay down, which is starting to get kind of annoying.

The only other downfall about Sandstone in particular? It has glitter in it. Lots of glitter. Not so much that my lips feel really gritty, but there are visible chunks of silver glitter laced through the whole tube that I did not realize until I got it home and tried it on. I love, love, love the color, but the glitter was a huge disappointment for me. I'm not a fan of glitter, least of all on my lips.


Nekkid lips.


Sandstone in the sunlight.


Sandstone away from the sunlight. Sorry it's a little blurry -I was trying to capture the glitter.


One swipe on the left; three swipes on the right, just to show you that the color is buildable, to a point.

2 comments:

Barbie said...

Aw, I kinda like glittery lips... sometimes. That sucks about the label too! lol Geez!

Linda said...

I totally feel the same way about the gloss balm. The sandstone color is so pretty and I really love it, but the glitter kinda ruined it.