Monday, November 8, 2010

Swatch Wars!

I love taupe. Love, love, love. I'm a neutral whore, what can I say? And as such, taupe is like kryptonite for me. I could look a taupes all day and think I need them all, despite the fact that I have a drawer full of similar shades.

That's where Swatch Wars comes in. While going through my stash, I noticed three very similar taupe colors that I thought should have a side-by-side comparison done for people. Whenever I find myself running across this conundrum, I'll take pictures and compare the products in question and see who survives the battle and who will just limp off into the discard box...

So, without further ado, I present...

Urban Decay Deluxe Eyeshadow in Ruthless
vs
Benefit Velvet Eyeshadow in Fawn Over Me
vs
Bobbi Brown Shimmerwash in Beige!
(also pictured in that order. :) )



Urban Decay describes Ruthless as a "pale sandy taupe shimmer." On me, Ruthless leans a little cooler, but it's great as a neutral base or by itself with black liquid eyeliner. $18 for 0.09 oz.

Benefit doesn't even begin do Fawn Over Me justice by describing it as a ho-hum "cafe au lait." It's shimmery, smooth, and applies like buttah! This was the first Benefit eyeshadow I swatched and it's left me craving more. $18 for 0.11 oz.

Like the gals at Benefit, Bobbi Brown's bland description of Beige as "a light beige" leaves something to be desired. So does the price tag for the amount you get (when compared to other brands.) $20 for 0.08 oz.

This side by side comparison has definitely opened my eyes. Bye bye Bobbi! Between Urban Decay and Benefit, I have no need of a "light beige" in my collection - I get more product for cheaper with the other two, anyway. Which is surprising because Bobbi looked like she had the most product. But you know what they say... looks are deceiving.

No comments: