Monday, November 15, 2010

Red Lips, featuring a LOTD and a FOTD

When I was getting ready for date night with the hubs, I asked him what kind of makeup look he wanted to see. Dorky, I know. But sometimes I get into a rut where I do the same look over and over and I just need some direction. So, I asked him: smokey bronze eye or red lips?

He made a face and went "Smokey bronze eye." He said it all offended, like a silent "duh" was attached to the end and I should have known better than to even ask.

Me, being ... well, me, couldn't let it go. "What's wrong with red lips? They're classic!"

Him: "They're obnoxious."

Me: Gasp!

Him: (backpedaling) It just means I can't kiss you! I don't like them.

Which got me to thinking. I'd heard guys make this claim before, but I never had an in-depth conversation about it until I sat down and picked Hubby's brain.

In guy speak, it boils down to this: red lips are intimidating. Sure, the woman rocking them may feel like a superstar, but it's a double edged sword. Guys are both a) drawn to the innate sexiness of them and b) repulsed by their perfection. Red screams "look at me!" but it also says "Don't touch me!"

That being said, I definitely believe there is a time and a place for red lipstick. I love retro looks and nothing says "glamorous" quite so loudly as a crimson pout. And can I just take a moment to thank Christina Hendricks for showing the world that redheads can totally pull off a red lip?



From left to right:

  • Neutrogena MoistureShine LipSheers in Ruby Bliss - a softer, sheerer version of the red lip for those just starting out or looking for a little more subtlety.

  • L'Oreal Colour Riche in Red Rhapsody - a true red with a bit of sheen.

  • L'Oreal Colour Riche in Buttoned-Up Red - another true red, but more on the matte side. It was a limited edition shade, but still one of my favorite, classic reds.

  • Revlon ColorStay in Smoothest Wine - this one has a little more "oomph" than the Neutrogena, but it's still not quite as "saturated" as either of the L'Oreals. It says it's "wine" but this is a blue-based red without any hints of burgundy.


Nekkid lips!


Neutrogena's Ruby Bliss - this is usually the one I grab as I'm running out the door. It's a no-fuss red lipstick because it's so sheer, but it can be layered to a deeper color. Plus, I love how moisturizing it is.


Revlon's Smoothest Wine

And a quick FOTD... with really bad self-portraits because I couldn't pry hubby's hands away from his PS3 controller and that damn new Black Ops game!


Face
Concealer: Makeup Forever Full Cover in 1 Pink Porcelain
Powder: Cover Girl Professional Loose Powder in Translucent Fair 105
Blush: MAC Tenderling
Undereye concealer: MAC Studio Finish in NW15
Undereye powder: Benefit Powderflage

Eyes
Primer: MAC Paint Pot in Painterly
Lid color: Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Ruthless
Highlight: NARS eyeshadow in Tibet
Liner: MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack
Mascara: Cover Girl Lash Blast Volume in Blackest Black

Lips
Lipstick: Revlon ColorStay in Smoothest Wine

No comments: