Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Philosophy Purity Made Simple


I'd heard about Philosophy's award-winning cleanser, Purity Made Simple, for years. I never bought it because the line looked cutesy and kind of gimmicky, not to mention, way above what I wanted to spend on a cleanser.

I finally got my hands on a generous sample from Sephora, but all it took was two applications to realize I was better off not falling for Philosophy's cool marketing campaigns. My skin was finally blemish free and balanced, happy to say the least. Then, on Day Three, I woke up with a giant red bump under my chin, where I never break out. The only thing in my regimen that I had changed was adding the Philosophy. Needless to say... I found my culprit.

Normally when I have a bad reaction to a product, I hate said product and banish it from my bathroom immediately. Even though it gave me a big, potentially-painful pimple (God bless benzoyl peroxide...), I'm still wishing my flirtation with Purity could have morphed into a full-fledged relationship.

It smelled light and refreshing and a little went a long way. It didn't dry out my skin at all, nor did it leave a filmy residue (to the touch, anyway. Something must have been happening beneath the surface, though...). And it took off all of my makeup, including eye makeup, without spending hours scrubbing or rubbing or having to re-wash. Seriously, after Day One I was praying it would work and was even eye-balling the 32 oz bottle, despite the $45 price tag.

Would I buy it? Unfortunately, sadly, wish-I-could-but-I-can't... No.

Would I recommend it to non-acne prone people? Yes. I think it's worth getting a sample, at the very least, and seeing if it works for you. Skincare is so "Your Mileage May Vary," so what doesn't work for me might be a holy grail for someone else. You never know until you try.

No comments: