Friday, November 19, 2010

John Frieda Radiant Red


I never really jumped on the John Frieda bandwagon until I saw he finally came out with a collection for red heads. Nothing against blondes and brunettes, but red heads need some cool shampoos/conditioners, too! So, he finally made one. And that's where my cheering for John Frieda stops.

The John Frieda website claims: "Our formulas help red hair attract more light, project richer hues and retain more color – all, while keeping it gorgeously healthy-looking."

As soon as I saw the Radiant Red shampoo and conditioner at the store, I snatched them both up and used them religiously. I only have a small bit left in each tube, but after that... I don't think I'll be repurchasing.

Pros? The shampoo lathers nicely and it has a fresh, clean shampoo-y smell that doesn't conflict with any perfume I may want to wear later. A little goes a long way for both the shampoo and the conditioner. Also, the conditioner doesn't weigh my hair down.

Cons? The conditioner, while weighless, doesn't moisturize my hair to my liking. And the dark red liquid that comes squirting out of the shampoo bottle is akin to the blood found on sets of 80's horror movies. The conditioner is a little better, since it's a thicker cream, but it's still a dark, garish red that is kind of weird in a world of neutral colored hair products.

The claim that it helps red hair "project richer hues" and "attract more light" didn't do much for me. My hair looks the same whether I use his collection, or any other shampoo/conditioner I happen to have in my shower. It might help color-treated red heads retain their vibrancy and add life to their color, but it didn't do anything for this au natural girl.

My verdict? Spend the $14 elsewhere. Sorry John!

No comments: