Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween FOTD

I'm a huge Halloween freak. It's my favorite holiday and usually my husband and I go all out with our costumes and decorations. This year was kind of different, because we had the wedding the night before and a gnarly wind storm just swept through northern Illinois last week (soooo happy we didn't decorate the yard - otherwise we would have been chasing our stuff all the way to Chicago).

My costume idea didn't really come to fruition until a week before the big event. I've always loved Mexican history and Dia de los Muertos. The cake topper for my bridal shower cake was actually a skeleton bride and groom (we had it at a Mexican restaurant... and then we honeymooned in Mexico... sensing a theme on how much I love Mexico?)

So... since we didn't have a lot of time (or money, for that matter), we decided to go with something simple. Mexican sugar skulls! I'd seen a couple tutorials on YouTube and thought "Hey... I can do that!" So, here is my attempt at a Dia de los Muertos sugar skull.

I just used cheapo white face paint from Wal-Mart, three different colors of pencil eyeliner (black, navy, and light blue) and set the darker colors with a matching eyeshadow to give it staying power.

And it actually wasn't that hard to do! To do my whole face took me... about 30 minutes. I was surprised at how easy it was. Granted, my take on the sugar skull wasn't very elaborate, but I was still happy with how it turned out.


No comments: