Monday, November 22, 2010

Cuticle Care

I'm really really bad about taking care of my cuticles. I pick at them, I push them back all the time, and very rarely do I ever think to slap on some kind of cream or oil. I figure, I'm using hand cream. Isn't that enough?

No. It's not.

So, I tried disciplining myself to take better care of my cuticles. Because healthy cuticles = healthy nails. Or so I'm told.

I've only experimented with two cuticle creams/oils and I think they both have their perks and downfalls.



The biggest appeal about Creative Nail Design's Solar Oil (aside from its cult following) is that it smells like almond oil. I love almonds. I love eating them and smelling the oil/extract. So, naturally, when I first smelled Solar Oil in a salon, I wanted it. I only use this before bed, because it is an oil and it leaves your fingers greasy and ... well, oily. But it does moisturize immediately and leaves you with a sweet, lingering almond scent.

Another cult favorite has to be Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream. I keep a tin of this in my purse and I apply it while I'm bored out of my mind at work. It doesn't leave your fingers as greasy as the Solar Oil, but it still leaves your cuticles soft and hydrated. I like the light lemon scent, too. It's not over-powering and sometimes it's just enough of a little "pick me up" to keep me from going postal. It's like a little mini spa treatment, right there at your desk.


As far as which one gets more love from me? Well, I'd honestly have to say the Burt's Bees. I like that I can put it on and go do something with my hands right away and not leave oil residue all over the place.

No comments: