Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Blistex Five Star Lip Protection

Hi, my name is Ashley and I'm a lip balm addict. I've been addicted for ... probably twenty years now, ever since my mother bought me a plastic candy cane tube full of tasty Lip Smacker's lip balms for Christmas one year.

I need to have lip balm around at all times. If I don't, I kind of panic. The minute I even think my lips are dry, I have to get to a lip balm or dry lips are all I can think about. Kind of like an asthmatic with an inhaler. Sad, I know. But unfortunately very true. I've actually been in the middle of a store, like Wal-Mart, and realized I didn't have a lip balm on me and actually had to buy another one on the spot and tear into it the second it was paid for (sometimes even while the debit card is being swiped through the machine... ::clears throat::).

So, as part of my lip balm mania, I've tried almost every one on the market. My most recent purchase? Blistex's new Five Star Lip Protection.

Here's what Blistex says:

New Blistex Five Star Lip Protection has a unique system of five specialized ingredients to deliver unparalleled defense against nature’s harshest conditions…dryness, sun, heat, cold, and wind.

The Five Star Lip Protection Approach:
•Glycerin holds in moisture in dry air
•Candelilla helps form a wind barrier
•Wheat Germ Oil provides moisture relief for heat-stressed lips
•Calendula Oil soothes cold-chapped lips
•SPF30 provides UVA/UVB sun-protection


Well, that's a load of bollocks if I ever heard it. Five Star has been my "work" lip balm for the past month or so (I keep it in my uniform jacket, so I know I always have one on me... See? Sad...) and it's safe to say that I've used it at least five or six times, daily, during the eight hours I'm at work.

Five or six times? Sometimes more? That's ridiculous. I know part of my job consists of talking, not to mention any eating/drinking I do, but to have to re-apply lip balm that much? Something is clearly not working.

I really wanted to like this lip balm. I bought into the "five star" claims and thought it was doing loads of good things for my lips. But it's not and there's no point in pretending it's a decent lip balm when I think it's actually drying my lips out even more. It smells nice, kind of like a cross between vanilla and almond, and it has nice "slip" to it, but within no time the little moisture it does provide is gone and I find myself having to re-apply. When I slick on a lip balm, I want to know it's actually going to moisturize and soothe my lips - not smell good for a minute and then disappear, leaving my lips worse off than they were in the beginning.

Five star protection? Yeah right! I get more relief from plain ol' Vaseline.

No comments: