Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Pure DKNY


Pure DKNY is my latest fragrance obsession. I first smelled it in a magazine and couldn't stop. I even went so far as to rub the "sample" on my wrists and then sniff it continuously for another hour or so until it faded.

Then started the hunt for an actual bottle. Since I live in Po'Dunk, our local Carsons didn't have it in yet. I checked all of the other stores, but to no avail. I finally drove 40 minutes away to my local Ulta before I could sample it live and in person. I sprayed it on generously and then had to wait a few hours until the hubby got home before he could give his stamp of approval.

Initial reviews had me a little worried. They were kind of mixed. Some people said it's your run of the mill, "fresh" vanilla perfume. I am not into wearing "foodie" perfumes. Aquolina? Gag! Smells like cotton candy. Vera Wang Princess? Wretch! I love eating chocolate, not wearing it. But there was something about Pure that was so ... pure! The Pure campaign is all about the peaceful moment, relaxing, and being calm. I want to be calm, damn it! ...er, yeah...

So, hubby sniffed and approved. A week later I purchased the mammoth bottle and have worn it... pretty much every day since. That was a month ago and it's still my favorite perfume of the moment. My concerns about its staying power were unfounded, at least for me. I've been able to spray it on my pulse points in the morning and my husband can still smell it on me by the time we get home from work, 8+ hours later.

My "signature" perfume is still Ralph Lauren Romance, but I love Pure for daily wear. Romance is soft and, well, romantic. You know you're wearing a floral when you wear it. But Pure is soft and feminine and doesn't scream "I'm wearing perfume!" It's how everyone should smell when they get out of the shower, without smelling like the Clean line of fragrances or Philosophy's Grace series.

The notes in the fragrance are: Ugandan vanilla (so named for the CARE project Donna Karan is a part of; some of the proceeds go to help women in the Ugandan village where the vanilla is cultivated), dew-drop petal accord, lotus, rose, transparent jasmine, freesia, orchid, white amber and sandalwood.

The bottles range from $42 - $80, depending on the size, and they are eau de parfums. It's available at department stores, as well as Ulta and Sephora. I haven't seen it trickle down to Kohl's or Wal-Mart yet, but I'm sure it will make its way there, eventually, just like DK's Delicious line.

No comments: