Friday, October 22, 2010

Liquid Eyeliners

Let me just start off by saying I love black eyeliner. Love, love, love, black eyeliner. I know I'm a redhead and I should stay away from the "harshness" of black, but I can't help it. Brown doesn't make my eyes pop the way black does. For me, eyeliner is a must. Pencils, gels, creams, and liquids - the blacker, the better. But not all liquids are the same and neither are their brushes, which I think is absolutely essential to getting the right look and saving yourself a headache. The following liners are the four I currently have in my rotation and I thought I would point out their pros and cons, in case someone wanted a little more information on them.
Maybelline's Lash Stiletto Liquid Eyeliner in Blackest Black is a very close alternative to L'Oreal's Lineur Intense liquid liner. They have a similar felt-tip brush and ink-well design. When it dries, Maybelline has a slightly "shimmery" (for lack of a better term) look. It has a slight sheen, as opposed to being completely flat black.
Revlon ColorStay Liquid Eyeliner in Blackest Black also has a felt tip brush and ink-well design, but this brush is much stiffer. I think it makes it harder to work with, personally, but I love the formula of the eyeliner itself and this one dries to a completely matte black color. The brush tip is also much shorter than Maybelline (and L'Oreal's), which I think makes it kind of unforgiving, since there's no "bend" to the brush.
Mark's On the Edge Liquid Eyeliner in Cleo first captured my attention because of Lauren Conrad. Unlike the other eyeliners mentioned, this one is has a very skinny bristle-brush that gets you the most incredibly thin line ever. I mostly use it for my "no makeup" look because it fills in the spaces between my eyelashes and blends perfectly with my mascara (also as black as it can be!) and dries to a matte black. The two things I don't like about this one? It's not the best when it comes to doing a heavy line. You have to go over it a couple times because the brush is so skinny. And secondly, I don't really like that you can only order it online or through a representative. I'm kind of weird like that... I like being able to walk into a store and walk out with what I need - not have to "plan ahead" and predict when I'll run out and then have to order it.
Palladio's Eye Ink in Black is my most recent addition to the family of liquids. Marlena from Makeup Geek got me into it after watching her use it in her videos. I love that it's a little pen shape, but it might be too small for some people's liking. I also like that the felt tip brush is forgiving and you can create wings or flicks very easily. Like Maybelline's, Palladio's eyeliner has a sheen to it when it dries, but it's still a super dark black and once it dries it dries. Palladio products can be found at Sally's Beauty and Ulta, as well as online.

In terms of wear, I feel like all of these eyeliners wear the same on me. Nine times out of ten, I don't have oily lids, so I don't get any transfer or smearing. If I use a paint pot or Too Faced Shadow Insurance under my eyeshadow then I know the eyeliner isn't going anywhere. But for as nicely as they wear, removal isn't a huge deal. Oil-based removers or just plenty of soap will do the trick.

The price is all relatively comparable and you get a good amount of product in each item. It all kind of boils down to which store you go to or if you want to order something from online.

I do have three eyeliners I would not recommend, however.
  • Kat Von D's Tattoo Liner in Trooper - it's supposed to be their black shade, but when I swatched it at Sephora, it was a watery gray line. I had to go over it several times to get the blackness to show up and when I did that, it kept undoing the previous lines and leaving streaks. I would definitely save the $18.
  • L'Oreal Lineur Intense in Carbon Black - the original Lineur Intense in Black Mica? Beautiful black color. Never had any problems. The Carbon Black? Terrible! Like Kat Von D's, it's a watery gray that isn't at all what it claims to be. I love the brush and the application, but the color payoff was terrible. If you want to try the L'Oreal one, I suggest sticking with the original and by-passing the overly hyped up Carbon Black series.
  • Urban Decay's Liquid Eyeliners - it's your typical brush and ink-well design, but the one I had didn't seem to have that plastic insert to wipe off the excess liquid. The brush was practically dripping black all over the place and it made for a very messy application. I don't typically have sensitive eyes, but this liquid actually burned my eye! I'm a klutz, I'll admit it. I've poked myself in the eye with other liquid liners and I've never had that kind of reaction before. That being said, if you don't have that kind of reaction, several other makeup gurus have suggested using your own eyeliner brush to apply UD's eyeliners.

So, after all of that... my personal favorite? The Palladio Eye Ink. I love how quick and easy it is to use. You don't have to "double dip" - all of the liquid just flows out, nice and smooth, and I think the pen-like design is really easy to handle and get precise wings, which is something I'm always trying to perfect.

No comments: