Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Eyeshadow Primers

Until my college years, I didn't really need an eyeshadow primer. My lids aren't super oily and I didn't have a problem with creasing. Then... my twenties hit and suddenly I was crease-city. But still dry. It's kind of a conundrum.
The first eyeshadow primer I ever picked up was the infamous Urban Decay Primer Potion. I liked the wand applicator, but I hated the bottle shape. It wastes so much product and unless you feel like taking a jig-saw to your bottle, you won't get all the product inside. I feel like that's cheating you out of your money. It did it's job, however, and kept my eyeshadow on all day without creasing or fading. The drawback? It dried my eyelids out like crazy! Cost: $18
The next primer I went to was Too Faced Shadow Insurance. I like the squeeze bottle, which means you'll get way more out of it than Urban Decay's. On my lids, TF and UD are the same. TF prevents creasing or fading, but it doesn't dry my eyelids out. When I want a colorless primer, this is the one I reach for. Or when I want to absolutely guarantee my eyeshadow doesn't go anywhere, like for a special event... Cost: $18
But usually? Most days, I reach for this one: MAC Paint Pot in Painterly. On it's own, it's like a concealer for my eyelids. It evens everything out and gives me a nice "canvas" to start with. It will crease without having an eyeshadow on top of it, though. But it's fantastic underneath powdered eyeshadows and I love how easy it is to apply. Just smooth some on your finger and smooth it on your eyelid. Done! Cost: $16.50

No comments: